RT2 aims to develop SD/SH (self-diagnosing-self-healing) systems to prevent and/or mitigate damage from both long and short‐term intrinsic and extrinsic time‐dependent actions. The specific outputs of the WP will be:
- The development of capsule‐based and vascular systems that can react to rapid damage and heal multiple occurrences of damage that arise from cyclic loading
- The exploitation of the cyclic nature of bacterial healing that follows a natural cycle) for healing medium term damage sequences
- Methods for addressing long‐term time‐dependent damage with SMP (shape-memory-polymers) grids and encapsulated SH (self-healing) agents
- The tailoring of SD/SH systems to specific time‐dependent damage scenarios and, with the aid of a comprehensive computational model, identification of the most suitable combination of SH techniques for selected applications
- The validation of these systems and the associated design and analysis procedures using tests on full‐size structural elements.